Google Gears CE progress (workerpool now works!)

I have been a little slack recently on my port of Google Gears to Windows CE powered devices. However progress is still being made and I feel that I am getting closer to a version which has all features fully functional.

I have checked in changes to the google-gears-ce SVN repository which enable the worker pool feature of Google Gears to operate correctly on Windows CE. Once again it was a minor bug fix once I tracked down the problem. Windows CE will not allow a window with a client rectangle of 0×0 pixels to be created. Google Gears was creating such a window for thread syncronisation purposes to enable it to pass asynchronous results back to the main GUI thread. The solution was to change the code to create a window of 5×5 pixels. Although the window now has a larger client rectangle, it is still invisible due to the window being created without the WS_VISIBLE window style being set.

I have also checked in an initial build script (build-ppc.bat) which attempts to build a Google Gears CE executable for Windows Mobile powered PDAs. At present this won’t even compile due to missing header files within the Windows Mobile SDK etc, but it’s a start down the road of my initial aim for this project.

The most significant outstanding bug still to be resolved, is the issue I am having around getting the offline mode to work. Obviously this is a major part of the google gears solution and it is a bit disappointing that it has held out on me for so long. The Asyncronous Pluggable Protocol implementation Google Gears utilises to hook into requests for http:// and https:// URLs, is failing to initialise due to some differences between the platforms. The good news is that it appears that I am not the only one finding this problem and it does look solveable. It may however require a far amount of new code to be written (rather than the existing bug fixes which have turned out to be one or two lines here or there).

Once this final hurdle is overcame, it should be fairly easy to tidy up a couple of minor lose ends and have a fully functional version of Google Gears working on Windows CE.

4 Responses to “Google Gears CE progress (workerpool now works!)”

  1. Hi Chris,

    I just downloaded your gears cab for windows mobile 6 and it worked a treat! I think what your doing with it is awesome and I would like to become part of your open source team for gears-ce. I have a couple years experience in developing for compact framework. I am based in Tauranga.

  2. Can Erten says:

    Hi,
    I was wondering if your Asyncronous Pluggable Protocol implementation is a complete implementation or is it using the same protocol provided by windows with some additions ?

    Thanks

  3. Stefan Klöckner says:

    Hi,

    Is this Project still active? I would like to run Google Gears on a barcode scanner with Windows CE / Internet Explorer 6. But I don’t find a fitting download on gears.google.com.

    Thanks

  4. Hi Stefan,

    This project is effectively dead. A while after I started it, somebody at Google started checking in changes to the main repository with equivalent (but cleaner) changes that added Windows Mobile support.

    Since that was my end goal (and Windows CE support was just something easier to get up and running initially) I stopped working on my port, as it was obviously easier to use officially sanctioned changes.

    I haven’t looked at the source code for Google Gears recently, but it probably wouldn’t be too difficult to get their version working on a raw Windows CE device as I imagine there are only a few possible places where Windows Mobile specific dependencies may have crept in.

    If this project is important to you, feel free to get in contact with me. My email address is christopher@christec.co.nz

Leave a Reply